Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Blogetics

There are five categories of posts that we are supposed to cover in our 30 odd posts for Project I- proper name, target, concept, commodity, heuretics and blogetics. Blogetics is the category in which we get to indulge in meta- or write about what it means to use the blog as a medium for theory.  It is the category that will have, at most, only a few posts. A little meta goes a long way; too much meta is a means to avoid the meat of an issue, a delaying tactic, a sign of anxiety.

I have another post which is kind of sort blogetics- though it focuses more on the development of my ideas for an email. I have avoided writing about the meta of blogging theory because honesty, I dislike the blog format. I've used it for another project, one better suited to the blog and still find it lacking.

I am not comfortable using it as a place holder for my rough and ready ideas; I do not like drafting in the blog form. I had an active livejournal account for over a year. I found that while there were plenty of typos and grammatical errors, I would spend an large amount of time crafting my words.  I've done much thinking about these ideas, but I don't enjoying thinking through the blog.

Right now, I want to tear the blog out of the computer screen and crumple it up. I'd rather code a website so I could customize with more precision the placement of text and images and videos and sound files and links. I hate being constrained by time stamped format of the blog- I'd like to re-order my posts so they make more of a narrative but to do that involves jerry rigging the dates.

The advantage of leaving the posts as they lie, is that it is a "truer" representation of how I approached the work. When I put pieces together.  Except as I go back and refine ideas in posts (places where I've typed more here later), we lose the history of my thinking.

I decided to put the blog posts into a narrative order reversing the way the blog archives posts- but there are two narrative orders at play. There is a sort of step by step following of ideas developed in D&G and then in Marchand. And there is an ordering that still tries to preserve how my thinking developed, which was not always in a step by step way.

No comments:

Post a Comment