Wednesday, February 24, 2010

An Introduction of Sorts, Part II

For both Projects/Parts I and II, we are using the CATTT. Unfortunately, I cannot find my notes from the first day of class, which were quite detailed about what the CATTT is/does, so I am having to hodge podge based on my notes from other class sessions, scanning of Dr. Ulmer's blog and my recollections.

The CATTT is an acronym for a five stage "device" for developing ideas heurectically. Ulmer compared the CATTT to the positions (past, present, future) in a three card tarot spread.  The CATTT becomes OUR CATTT as we place "cards" into the "five card spread."

Below I'm listing the names of the CATTT's slots as well as the particular idea/text slotted in our CATTT (so far) and some rationale, where appropriate:

  • Contrast: Commerce as detailed in Marchand's Advertising the American Dream. Deleuze and Guattari fix commerce as our contrast in What is Philosophy?
  • Analogy: Appropriation
  • Theory: the idea of the concept and how to develop it, from WIP? by D&G
  • Target: a public policy issue/disaster (in my case obesity), this gives us a handle to crank the other parts through
  • Tale: site of sythesis (this is the one that seems simplest and yet I'm not quite sure I've got it).
This table from Ulmer's blog is helpful for Part/Project I.

No comments:

Post a Comment